ANIMAL CARE ATTENDANT
The Animal Care Attendant is responsible for proper husbandry care of all hospitalized and boarded animals, including feeding, bathing, record keeping and the cleanliness of cages, runs and ward areas. In addition, the kennel staff also is responsible for the cleanliness of the hospital.
Minimum age requirement is 16 years old.
High school degree or in the process of attaining.
Animal care background id desirable, but not required.
- Genuinely enjoys working with animals and is able to deal with them even when they are stressed, ill or in pain.
- Can work unaffected in an environment where dogs are barking.
- Must be available to work weekends and holidays to be considered for an animal care attendant position.
- Physical Effort: Work requires lifting and carrying animals and food bags (will be assisted by other staff members in lifting animals over 40 lbs). Walks or stands for extended periods or time; frequently works in a bent position.
- Working conditions: May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal feces. May be exposed to bites, scratches and contagious diseases.
- Provides compassionate care to patients.
- Can conduct oneself in a confident and professional manner even when stressed and/or focused on individual tasks.
- Receives animals to be admitted, is responsible for their proper identification and for recording their respective locations.
- Releases animals to their owners as directed by the doctor; ensures that every animal released is clean and properly groomed prior to their release.
- Has the ability to communicate with owners and make them feel comfortable with leaving their pet(s) in our care.
- Can follow a regular schedule for cleaning and sanitizing all cages, runs, wards and related areas; changes litter boxes and food/water bowls.
- Can feed each animal as prescribed by the attending doctor or as the owner has requested and records appetites.
- Understands the importance of prioritizing tasks and keeps oneself busy and productive during work shifts.
- Can maintain laundry for the kennel, grooming and hospital.
- Maintains the grounds of the property including waste disposal, light maintenance of landscape upkeep and general building maintenance.
- Can give baths and brush out patients.
- Can collect urine and fecal specimens.
- Can give hospital and kennel tours while highlighting features that differentiate us from other kennels and hospitals in our area.
- Can recognize and report any unusual condition or abnormal behavior.
- Can assist doctors and technicians with the administration of medications or with patient restraint.
- Cleans equipment and facilities using chemicals and supplies; understands the importance of safety of use of chemicals in our facility.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the hospital each day.
- Understands and carries out the weekly and monthly chore list to maintain the hospital cleanliness, the equipment, and overall appearance of the hospital.
- Understands and carries out oral and written directions.
- Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
* Please complete the application and bring it in person or email it to email@example.com