You may have seen stickers, business cards, and posts on Facebook about a mysterious organization called “AAHA.” The American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) is the only organization that accredits companion animal veterinary practices in the U.S. and Canada, allowing clinics to achieve AAHA-accreditation status only after adhering to strict guidelines.
Unlike human hospitals, animal hospitals are not required to be accredited. To become accredited, hospitals are evaluated on approximately 900 standards of veterinary excellence. AAHA is the leader in developing benchmarks for patient care, pain management, surgery, pharmacy, laboratory, exam facilities, medical records, cleanliness, emergency services, dental care, diagnostic imaging, anesthesiology, and continuing education. Since 2011, we have been members of this elite organization, accomplishing our lofty goal of becoming AAHA-accredited. But, what does this really mean for your pet?
Veterinary medicine is continually making huge advances in providing the highest level of care for animals. As new research comes to light, AAHA provides guidelines for all clinics to follow in many different areas of veterinary medicine. Some of the topics covered in AAHA’s guidelines include:
- Infection control, prevention, and biosecurity
- Diabetes management
- Canine vaccination
- Pain management
- Feline life stage
- Canine life stage
- Weight management
- Nutritional assessment
- Behavior management
- End of life care
- Dental care
- Preventive healthcare
- Fluid therapy
Veterinary professionals undergo extensive training and education to provide quality care for pets. But, just like any field, new research in veterinary medicine can bring to light better ways of practicing medicine. AAHA’s guidelines keep us up-to-speed on the latest advancements so we can provide your pet with extraordinary care.
AAHA holds accredited veterinary hospitals to the highest standards of care, so you can rest assured knowing your pet is in the best hands when you walk into our AAHA-accredited practice. We strictly adhere to AAHA’s Standards of Accreditation. As an AAHA-accredited hospital, we are:
- Thorough — Creating a complete picture of your pet’s health, our veterinary team examines your furry friend from nose to tail. A thorough examination provides a wealth of information about your pet’s heart, lungs, eyes, ears, and mouth. This information gives us the knowledge needed to formulate an appropriate anesthetic protocol based on your pet’s health status. During an anesthetic procedure, extensive monitoring is used to keep your pet safe. Heart rate and rhythm, respiration, blood pressure, and temperature provide vital clues to the veterinary team focused on your pet’s health while under anesthesia.
- Responsive — We understand the importance of the speediness of a response. Whether over the phone or in our facility, quickly triaging an injured or ill pet can mean the difference between life and death. If an emergency occurs, you can trust that our hospital is fully stocked, organized, and readily available to save the lives of pets.
- Sanitary — To keep both you and your pet safe from infections, we follow a rigorous cleaning and disinfecting regimen. Appropriate disinfection protocols, hand-washing, and the use of antibacterial agents help prevent the spread of disease within our hospital.
- Safe — Compassionate care is a hallmark of our veterinary team. We treat each pet as if she were our own. Continuous training allows our staff to become skilled in handling animals in a safe, comfortable way.
As a pet owner, browsing through various websites for reliable pet information can be risky business. Instead of searching Dr. Google, call our office or check out the wealth of knowledge on AAHA’s website, which covers a wide array of pet topics, such as:
- Anesthesia-free dental cleanings
- Walking a reactive dog
- Physical therapy
- Camping with dogs
- Kidney transplants in cats
We’re proud to be among the only 15 percent of veterinary hospitals throughout the U.S. and Canada that is accredited by AAHA. We consistently go above and beyond to exceed your expectations, and we hope you feel that every time you walk through our doors.
Interested in learning more about how AAHA’s standards and guidelines help us provide the best care for your pet? Call us at 772-283-0920.